The Creative Dance: 10 Amazing & Surreal Self-Portraitshowtobeadad
Being a creative person is one of the most challenging and rewarding journeys a person can take. And educating our children, teaching them how to harness their power as imaginative creators is vital in that journey.
We can talk until we’re blue in the face about the need for diligent practice or careful focus in the artform that has chosen us as its steward. But we mustn’t forget to instill a sense of adaptability so that we can transcend our fixed ideas of who we are.
Meet Ingrid Endel, our case in point, a ‘dancer in search of meaning’ and reflection after a devastating knee injury left her dance career in shambles. She turned to photography and a year or so after she took her first photograph, she began incorporating dance elements into the frames. The results of this marriage between artistic fields are striking, and in some cases puzzling in terms of her ability to capture such resonant, surreal self-portraits.
10 imaginative self-portraits by ingrid endel
1. “Resilience” 1 of 10"Sometimes, I like to feel free. So I dance and try to capture those moments." -Ingrid Endel
2. “In the Darkest of Times” 2 of 10I love this one because it is such a subjective and belief-based photo. It could be the end or the start. We don't know.
3. “Pause” 3 of 10Taken before sunrise, Ingrid says this of her shot: "I was so determined to walk away with something that I could work with that I spent well over an hour at this beautiful place: fighting the cold wind, walking barefoot on sharp gravel to and from the camera and stretching my body beyond its limits to name a few."
4. “last breath” 4 of 10"The image above is when this living being takes one final breath before falling and completely disappearing." -Ingrid Endel
5. “the fallen” 5 of 10"It's winter here now so this was, um...uncomfortable (wearing only a leotard)." -Ingrid Endel
6. Limbo 6 of 10I feel like this every day. And I'm neither a dancer nor literally upside down.
7. Unknown 7 of 10These glimpses into the stopped motion of time are so eery and beautiful. It's hard to put them into words.
8. “queen” 8 of 10"This will be the last photo I upload using wings...for now :)." - Ingrid Endel
9. “Crossing Borders” 9 of 10"It's always an interesting ride when you begin with an idea that completely reinvents itself and becomes so much more than intended during the process." -Ingrid Endel
10. “rise / fall” 10 of 10"Not sure how I feel about this yet. I've been staring at it for far too long so who knows. Best to sleep on it, so I can't guarantee it will stay." -Ingrid Endel
All images care of Ingrid Endel
The very journey of becoming a great artist can lead to the self-discovery that we are more powerful than we even imagined. We make choices and follow paths that may end up leading us to arteries of paths we hadn’t realized.
Read more from us on HowToBeADad.com
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, and for updates
Need more zombification? Read more from Night of the Living Dads!
Don’t miss the latest from Babble Voices — Like Us on Facebook!