Summer sales are in full swing, with some retailers offering up to 75% off. For busy moms who are also trying to find ways to save money, this is a great opportunity to refresh your look, get new clothes and shoes for your kids and stretch your dollar. However, it can be very tempting to overspend. How can you know if you really are getting a good deal?
Even fashion experts have a strategy when it comes to shopping on sale. For example, celebrity stylist Irma Martinez says you should stock up on classic items such as jeans, a white shirt, stylish cardigan or scarf. For kids, focus on buying basics they can wear during summer and fall. Shorts, jeans, leggings, t-shirts and swimwear are always great bets.
Here are 10 smart tips so you take full advantage of all the summer sales:
- Focus on shopping smart, not cheap. Think how any pieces you buy will work with what you have and whether you really love them.
- Make a list of what you need for your kids before you shop, so you will avoid buying stuff you don’t really need.
- Get a head start on back to school shopping. Take advantage of storewide markdowns and holiday coupons to buy school essentials, such as uniform bottoms and cardigans.
- Just because it’s a steal, it doesn’t mean it’s a great deal. If you won’t ever wear it, you paid too much.
- Try before you buy. Make sure any clothes you are buying fit well and aren’t damaged.
- Find out the store’s return policy before you pay. The biggest markdowns might be final sales, so choose carefully and check for any damages or imperfections.
- As soon as you buy something new, take an old item out from your closet. This way you’ll avoid cluttering up your closet.
- Look up any online codes or coupons before you shop. Sometimes you will even get an extra discount just signing up for a retailer’s newsletter. Search on Google, Twitter and Facebook, too.
- To find out whether you are really getting a good deal, calculate the cost per wear. If you’ll be wearing a certain pair of shoes every single day to work, it pays off to spend more money on them than a flashy pair of sandals that you could probably wear to the next wedding you’re invited.
- Winter in July? Well, yes! Don’t be afraid to buy off-season if an item is great quality, is classically styled and you can wear it for years to come. Before you know it, fall will be here.
Do you have any shopping tips to save more and avoid overspending?
MORE ON BABBLE:
5 tips when your tween goes on an overnight trip
MORE ON BABBLE
10 items you can wear from your man’s closet
13 fashion trends we hope disappear this year
What you should buy at Forever 21 RIGHT NOW
11 tips for dressing a not-slim body
7 things to take out of your closet…now