The weather is finally beginning to warm up, and I’m starting to get incredibly excited about the summer months. I don’t know why, really: it’s not like I have three months of summer vacation to look forward to, like I did when I was a kid.
Still, it seems to me that some of the things that I did enjoy doing as a kid bear repeating now that I’m a *mumble*-year-old adult. In fact, in order to make this summer as fun as I remember from when I was a child, I decided to make a summer to-do list: things that I’m going to get done at some point by the end of August. (Don’t laugh.)
1. Wear wellies and stomp in puddles. The bigger the splash, the better.
2. Jump waves on the beach. The bigger the wave, the better.
3. Separate Oreo cookies, and then eat the icing on the inside first, before eating the awesome chocolaty wafers.
4. Pop bubble wrap. The poppier, the better.
5. Ride a bike for fun (not exercise).
6. Eat an ice cream cone, so that the ice cream is pushed down into the sugar cone with my tongue, making the last bite of the pointy bit of the cone all creamy and fantastic.
7. Swing on a swingset. They really ought to make more of those with adult-sized seats.
8. Blow soap bubbles.
9. Lick the cake batter off of mixer beaters. Which means I’m going to be busting out my chocolate-chocolate-chip cake recipe, stat.
10. Let Elmer’s glue dry on my fingers and palms before peeling it off.
Giggle all you will, but you know secretly you want to do some of these things, too.
In fact, what about you? What sorts of things are you going to make sure you’re going to do in the coming warmer months?