Now more than ever it’s super easy to document our lives, but nothing compares to video when it comes to capturing our family memories. You not only get pictures, you get sounds, giggles, and music… Basically, you can capture the entire moment, all in High Definition if you have a Handycam or the newest video cameras.
The issue is that most people seldom watch their home movies. They tend to be stored in hard drives, stuck in a virtual world, until somebody remembers they exist. It’s not a matter of quality. It’s mostly a matter of life being so hectic we seldom slow down to relive those memories that brought so much joy to our lives.
What can you do? Here’s a list of how to ensure you keep watching your family home videos for years to come:
- Label your videos. When you have a generic file name, chances are you’ll never know what your video is about. Or when you’re searching for a specific video, it’s very time consuming to search through files that are only coded by numbers.
- Backup your videos. Store them in your computer’s hard drive, an external drive or a DVD. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Do a viewing party and gather your friends and family. You can have some popcorn or cut fruit as snacks and just have everybody watch the video in your family room. If your video camera has a built in projector, like the newest Handycams, you don’t even need a TV.
- Are you comfortable with computers? Edit a brief highlight video every time you tape something special, such as a birthday, a trip to Disney, a family vacation or your baby’s first steps. Share with your loved ones via email or YouTube.
- Create a family tradition at the end of the year and review some of the videos you’ve taken. It’s a great and fun way to take a look at everything your family has experienced during the year.
Do you watch your family videos often or do you tend to forget about them?
Do you want to win a video camera?
Want to capture your own family memories on video? We’re giving away two Sony Handycams! To enter for a chance to win, simply comment on any Sony-sponsored post (including this one) with an answer to the following question: what’s your favorite family memory? Contest runs through 11:59 p.m. EDT on September 30th, 2012, and you may enter once per post. Contest is open to U.S. residents only.
Want a chance to win weekly prizes like a Sony Handycam or a $200 Disney shopping card? Enter to win here!
MORE ON BABBLE: