I generally know what to get my kids, husband, and mom for Christmas, but beyond that I’m often at a loss. The teacher? Relatives? Friends? Suppliers and vendors? For people I don’t know as well, I usually feel most comfortable giving them a gift that gives back.
For Babble Cares, I was going to do a roundup of “gifts that give back” ideas for you, but lucky for me, the work’s already been done by a host of fabulous people, so I’m going to share their links with you as well as my picks for my favorite items on each of their lists. Be sure to visit each site to check out their full lists. Your favorites may be different from mine!
1. Mashable - I’d wear those funky Roma boots, and be glad my purchase would ensure a kid could have a pair, too.
2. Huffington Post - The giving keys necklaces, made by the homeless, are an AWESOME idea. I just love these.
3. O Magazine - The Good Card, from Charity Navigator. You give the money but the receiver of your gift picks the charity. Sympatico.
4. Cool Mom Picks - The handmade cotton scarves from FashionABLE are wonderful. I know because I have one, thanks to ONE Moms. The purchase of these scarves supports sustainable businesses for women in Africa.
5. LookieBoo - Loving those sweet, hand-crocheted drawstring bags from Grasshoppers, knitted by women in Zimbabwe.
6. Kristen Howerton, Roadside Assistance - My favorite items on Kristen’s list are the 31 bits recycled paper necklaces made by women in Northern Uganda. I didn’t even know you could make jewelry out of paper. At least not jewelry anyone would want to wear.
7. Real Simple -Kid Glitter Shoes from Toms, because my heart gets all tingly thinking of a little girl somewhere in the world getting her own pair of sparkly shoes.