Thanks to Take Me Fishing for sponsoring this post. To check your state’s regulations and get your fishing license and boat registration please visit www.TakeMeFishing.org. Click here to see more of the discussion.
When was the last time you went fishing? What about your kids? That long? I’m here to tell you that if you haven’t gone recently, you need to make sure this is the summer you do so. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy. You don’t need to be an expert or have top of the line gear. You can fish from the shore with a borrowed rod and not even catch anything.
It’s all about the experience, because fishing is fun for the whole family.
1. Sometimes it’s what we don’t do. You know what people don’t look at while fishing? Screens!!! Fishing is the best way to unplug and refresh for a little while. For this reason alone, fishing is the perfect antidote to our modern life.
2. Fishing is timeless. When you fish, it doesn’t matter if it’s 2013 or 1813. Well, perhaps they didn’t have neon pink plastic fishing rods a couple of hundred years ago…and sure, ice in coolers was a ways away…but other than those details, fishing itself is a timeless endeavor. It’s you, the water, your line, and waiting.
3. Fishing levels the playing field. It doesn’t matter if you’re big brother, little brother, Grandma, or the lone girl cousin. The fish? They don’t care.
4. It’s like meditating, but social. There’s a tranquility about fishing that few activities bring. It’s sort of how I imagine meditating must be, without having to actually mediate. The fact that you can enjoy it with friends and family? All the better!
5. Fishing makes memories. To know me is to know I’m all about creating memories for my kids. So think about it for a moment…close your eyes and think about when you went fishing as a child. You remember each time, don’t you? If you didn’t go as a kid, don’t you want to provide the little ones in your life with awesome childhood memories? There’s a magic about fishing that makes your heart want to remember it forever.
I’d love to share with you some of my family photos when we last made memories fishing. You’ll find a few more reasons fishing is fun for the whole family.