I just read an article on Oprah.com about beauty products you don’t need, and I have to say, it was such a refreshing read. Finally, a beauty NON-essential list. Hallelujah!
The five products mentioned in the article were toner (toners were invented because cleansers from years ago left a film on your skin, but not anymore), a foot mask (well, that’s just silly), lip exfoliator (just use a balm), anything that says “cellulite” on it (it doesn’t work), and neck cream (just use your facial moisturizer on your neck).
What do you think of that list? I have to say, I concur wholeheartedly. However, I’d think I’d like to add a few more to the list.
1. Eye cream – I know, I know. I’m going to catch some flack for this one, but really? Just use a facial moisturizer. “But the skin is so delicate around the eye, Sarah!” Not buying it.
2. Lip-plumping glosses – Listen, I’ve tried a few of the lip-plumping variety, and they might give a wee bit fuller appearance, but I definitely don’t think they are worth the price tag. (If you truly want fuller lips, you will need to make friends with a dermatologist and a needle. Ouch.)
3. “Age-Reversing” Products – Dude, you can’t get rid of the wrinkles on your face with a cream. Maybe a little firming, but no, a cream is not going to magically fill a crease that has formed in your skin over the course of many years.
4. Fancy Pants Razors – Really? Do you think I’m going to get a better shave because my razor is glittery pink and smells like a pina colada?
5. Shampoo – Who needs shampoo when you can keep your hair clean with baking soda and vinegar? (Um, I DO. Just making sure you were paying attention.)
There’s got to be more, right? What would make your beauty non-essential list?