Face it; your kids are squirmy and jumpy and all over the place – how can you possibly hit the pause button long enough to snap a quality photo to remember those zany moments by? Inspired by some amazing kid’s photo shoots, I’ve got a few tips for you on capturing those sweet tots in the best light possible:
1. Never underestimate the power of props. Sure, you might not be able to make a large-scale kite from paper, but chances are, your home has all the props you’ll ever need. Grab a few wooden blocks, books and your kids’ favorite things and let the inspiration begin.
2. Get up close and personal. Want to remember the precise shade of rosy cheeks your daughter gets from playing on the jungle gym all afternoon? Don’t be afraid to snap a super close-up shot (even when your son’s blowing on a euphonium!) to let those details shine.
3. Play dress up! Sometimes the best shots are the ones where your kids get to pretend to be someone else for the day (hello, Halloween fun!). Break out your old threads (or go avant-garde!) and let your kids’ imagination run wild.
4. Learn some mad skills. OK, so this one’s a stretch, but the possibilities for fun photos are truly endless when you’ve got some Photoshop skills in your back pocket. Look for a free course at the local community center, or barter with a tech-smart friend who will show you some moves. Pretty soon you’ll be shooting photos like Jason Lee (actually, give yourself a few decades before you level up to Jason!).
5. Think simple. Your kids shine when their personalities come out to play. Sometimes all you need for some great shots is a single chair, some great lighting and your favorite little smiles.
Easy enough, right? And don’t forget to create a handy keepsake to house all of those amazing photos (we love Wendy’s new scrapbooking app for a budget-friendly, easy solution!). Happy photographing!