Wait, what kind of adult toys did you THINK I was going to be talking about? What is it about adult toys and wood that gets people crazy?
Art Toys, playas. Get your minds out of the gutter, please.
I’m a huge fan of art toys. The problem is that vinyl toys are often manufactured in China, and they kind of lose their unique and aesthetic appeal when they are mass made. You dig?
If you aren’t in the art toy know, allow me to give you a brief lesson courtesy of my friends at wikipedia. The entry is pretty darn thorough indeed! Most everyone agrees that the vinyl trend was birthed by Michael Lau. Takashi Murakami brought it more mainstream, including an exhibit at MOCA.
Vinyl toys gave way to art toys made of resin, plush and wood. One of my favorite artists in the wood category is Amanda Visell, hands down. She’s an LA artist with crazy creativity. I am digging her newest wood toy incarnation because Amanda takes on Disney…that’s right. You are going to swoon over these pieces because they are all one of a kind and are ridiculously awesome.
If you interested in purchasing them, know that the price reflects the sheer amount of work that went into making these puppies…they are NOT cheap. But they ARE awesome.
1. Captain Hook 1 of 5Who doesn't love Cap'n Hook? I am digging the details in the jacket. Want. Him. Stat.
2. Dumbo 2 of 5Dumbo is one of my fave Disney characters. He's just so lovable. The floppy ears get me EVERY time.
3. Cruella DeVil 3 of 5Who kidnaps puppies? Cruella does, that's who. I know that you're singing her theme song because if she doesn't scare you, then nobody will.
4. Eeyore 4 of 5Poor, poor Eeyore. I just want to pick him up and cuddle him.
5. The Wicked Witch 5 of 5Look at those crazy details. The apples look good enough to eat, but DON'T EAT THEM. Please!