Right about now the Internet is flush with posts anticipating all the wonderful things that will hopefully come our way in the New Year. I too love to think about all the things to look forward to in 2012, but today (perhaps because I am under the weather) I have found myself thinking about all the things I am NOT looking forward to. Here is my list of the things that have the potential to make 2012 a pain in the butt:
1. The 2012 Presidential Election: Regardless of whether you plan to support President Obama or his Republican challenger, we are all in for a long ten-plus months of bickering, insults, and debate. It will be like an episode of “The Real Housewives” on repeat.
2. Mayan Doomsday Talk: Oh boy. Yet another end of days prediction. Can’t we all agree these things are ridiculous? Also, the world is supposedly scheduled to end on December 21st. How lame is that? Couldn’t they have at least have pushed it back a few days so we could enjoy opening our Christmas presents?
3. Favorite TV Shows Ending or Getting Canceled: “The Closer” is set to finish its run in 2012, and the hilarious “Community” is on thin ice. Even “The Simpsons” might be nearing the end! Ugh. I am not looking forward to having my favorite TV shows messed with. I am going to need my stories to help distract me from all the Election/Doomsday talk.
4. The Terrible Twos: My daughter Annie is turning two on January 22nd, and I am not looking forward to all of the tears, tantrums, and screams of “Mine!” Maybe if we tell her she’s turning three we can trick her into being chill?
5. No Flying Cars: Wow. It’s 2012 already and we don’t have flying cars, condos on the moon, or robot butlers. Clearly, all the science fiction we loved as kids lied to us. Get it together, nerds. It’s time to step up your game.
What things are you not looking forward to in 2012?