International Act Like a 5-Year Old DayDan Pearce
It’s Noah’s birthday. He turns five today, and as I contemplate just how funny and awesome a human being he is, I can’t help but think I should do something to honor this kid who completes me.
So to do that, I hereby declare today to be International Act Like a 5-Year Old Day! Participation is mandatory. If you don’t participate, you’ll be given extra chores and you won’t get to watch Sponge Bob for at least a week!
To properly celebrate IALA5OYOD (it just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?) you should make sure to do the following throughout the day.
- You should sneak treats from the cupboard when nobody is looking.
- You should giggle like crazy when somebody unintentionally makes a funny face.
- You should find another random person and make a friend. Instantly.
- You should put your socks on upside down.
- You should walk out of the garage and look at the sky before you get into your car.
- You should be thrilled when somebody offers you a free sticker. And you should wear it proudly.
- You should drop some of the food you don’t want to eat under the table.
- You should walk up and scratch your dad’s back just because you know he likes it.
- You should remember something exciting when you wake up and literally jump out of bed in anticipation.
- Speaking of beds, you should go into your bedroom and jump on yours.
- You should tell your parents that you want them to do something fun with you.
- You should feel accomplished when you do something that was hard for you, even when it’s tiny.
- You should pull your pants to your ankles at the urinal just because you can.
- You should run full speed when somebody calls your name.
- You should read your favorite book again, even though you’ve read it a hundred times.
- You should draw a pretty picture for somebody who you know would like it.
- You should pray about the things that matter most to you, no matter how silly they seem.
- You should let things go when they don’t go your way.
- You should remember something amazing that you saw at the store and work as hard as it takes for as long as it takes to earn it.
- You should recognize when you’re not yet skilled at something and insist you can do it anyway.
- You should get down on your dog’s level and make funny sounds in his face.
- You should do a jigsaw puzzle just to prove that you can.
- You should do a harder jigsaw puzzle just to prove that you can.
- You should feel sad when something doesn’t happen the way you expected it to.
- You should openly tell others your fears without worrying about how tough you seem.
- You should turn on the fireplace and just stare at the flames because fire still fascinates you.
- You should insist that you get to help in the kitchen, no matter the task.
- You should be perfectly content with a dirty house for the day.
- You should make up stories about animals and monsters and dinosaurs that are running alongside your car while you drive.
- You should run around in your underwear because pants are too hot.
- You should call your mom or dad on the phone because you just want to hear their voice.
- You should brag about how awesome your younger siblings are to others.
- You should forgive people when they hurt your feelings. And in minutes, not days.
- You should hug everyone goodbye when you leave. Even when you don’t know them.
- You should enjoy games that involve you flying through the air and landing on soft surfaces.
- You should enjoy going for walks.
- You should call up your friend and ask if she wants to play.
- You should cry when you have to leave somebody before you’re ready to.
- You should sing along to every song you know. You also shouldn’t be content unless everyone else is singing along with you.
- You should think about and miss the people who aren’t in your life anymore.
- You should wear your favorite shirt two days in a row even though it’s dirty.
- You should chew two pieces of bubble gum at the same time.
- You should believe that you’re bigger and stronger and wiser than you really are.
- You should stop at the gumball machines and check out the new loot.
- Then you should ask for a quarter from someone you love.
- And please don’t forget to smile every time you think a happy thought.
And that’s it. Pretty simple list, really! Why did we all have to go and become grown-ups anyway?
Dan Pearce, Single Dad Laughing
PS. What other attributes do children have that we would all do well to emulate a little more? Have you ever just let go of adult life and tried to be a kid for the day?