Make a lovely collection of woodland party puppets using collage techniques and found paper scraps from old books, magazines, or any other source that sparks your imagination. Even the novice crafter will have no problem pulling it off as author Mollie Greene walks you step-by-step through this paper-perfect project from her latest book, Sweet Paper Crafts (available from Chronicle Books).
- Glue stick
- Paper for backing
- Record jacket front or back
- Woodland Party Puppets templates (download here)
- Scissors for cardboard
- Contrasting paper for accessories
- Scissors for paper
- Wire cutters
- 20-gauge straight stick floral wire
- 1-in/2.5-cm circle punch
- Liquid glue
- Using the glue stick, adhere your chosen backing paper to the wrong side of the record jacket. Allow to dry for about 10 minutes.
- Download the Woodland Party Puppets templates here. Using the pencil, trace the deer, bear, squirrel, fox, and rabbit tem-plates on the paper-covered jacket. Cut out the shapes with cardboard scissors. Be careful to cut inside the pencil lines so that you don’t have to erase them later.
- Trace the two crown templates, two party hat templates, and two bow tie templates on contrasting paper. Cut out with the paper scissors. Decide which creatures will wear which accessories and glue them in place with the glue stick. Allow to dry for about 10 minutes.
- To provide added support for the puppets, cut a small rectangular piece of record jacket to fit the back of each creature. It should be as large as possible without being seen from the front. Glue in place with the glue stick.
- Using the wire cutters, cut five 9-in/23-cm pieces of floral wire. With the circle punch, punch five paper circles, one for each pup-pet. Dot a small amount of liquid glue on the small rectangle on the back of each creature. Place one end of a piece of wire in the glue. Using the glue stick, apply glue to a paper circle and place it on top of the liquid glue and the end of the wire. Press to secure. Allow to dry for about an hour before handling the puppets.
Ready for more? Sweet Paper Crafts offers 25 unique DIY paper accents that make any home or celebration a little brighter. Make tiny star garlands to string over the mantel, delicate flower wreaths for the front door, cheerful package toppers, and much more! The book is available for $19.95 at Chronicle Books.