Birthdays in my family are a big deal. We always celebrate them. Sometimes we’ve done a small party for our children at home or we have treated their whole class to a party at a kid’s gym. However, my favorite birthday celebrations have been at Disneyworld in Florida.
We have celebrated both my children’s birthdays and my own at Disney. It’s a fun way to have a very special day and it really creates a special family memory. Disney even has a special section on its website devoted to birthday celebrations. If you’d like to celebrate a special occasion at Walt Disney World, here are some cool ideas. The best part? Some are free!
8 ideas to celebrate a birthday at Disneyworld
1. Get a Birthday button at Guest Services at any park. It’s free and can be personalized with a Sharpie. People will come up to you and wish you a happy birthday, cast members may make your day extra magical and when eating at the park, sometimes Disney magic brings you a cupcake.
2. Eat inside Cinderella’s castle. This requires more planning, since Cinderella’s Royal Table is one of the most coveted dining reservations. Is it worth it? For me, yes. The food was great and I had always wanted to be inside the castle. If you’re on a budget, breakfast and lunch are a lot less expensive than dinner. The package includes a picture with Cinderella.
3. Book a princess makeover. The Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique offers different types of packages to make your daughter feel like royalty. Basic packages start at $54.95 and deluxe ones up to $189.95 per person. Book in advance by calling (407) WDW-STYLE or (407) 939-7895. Sometimes they accept walk-ins but you need to get there first thing in the morning. Boy can get the Knight package with a sword and shield for $15.95.
4. Play mini-golf with your entire family and friends. Disney’s Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf Course is located right outside the Swan and Dolphin Hotels in the Epcot resort area. Prices are $12.00 per 18-hole round for adults, and $10.00 for children 3 to 9 years of age.
5. Book a meal at a table service restaurant and mention it’s a special day. Cast members will make sure to sing happy birthday and at Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom we have received a card signed by all the characters aside from a cupcake. At Chef Mickey’s there’s a theme song asking all guests to “Celebrate” and Mickey Mouse or Minnie might help the birthday child blow out their candle. Make reservations online or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Some locations require a credit card deposit or will charge you in full in advance. If that is the case, always ask about the cancellation and refund policy. You can also pre-order a special birthday cake at an additional cost.
6. Treat everybody to a sugar rush. Goofy’s Candy Co. in Downtown Disney offers a private room to host birthday parties. It needs to be booked and prepaid in advance. Follow up visit to the dentist is not included. For more information call (407) WDW-BDAY
7. Decorate your hotel room. If you are staying at a Disney resort, you can contact the Disney florist and purchase a room celebration package, that can include balloons, plush toys or flowers, depending on your budget. You can shop online as well.
8. End your day sailing away on a Pirates Fireworks cruise. When you have done it all and want to experience Disney fireworks away from the crowds, the Pirates Fireworks voyage might offer you the perfect ending to your special day. Boats accommodate up to 60 people and are wheelchair accessible. To make reservations, call (407) WDW-PLAY or (407) 939-7529. The experience includes beverages and snacks such as fruit and popcorn. Just beware of the dent it can make in your budget: $53.99 for guests 10 and over and $30.99 for guests 3-9.
Even if it’s a last minute celebration, spending it at Disney will make it truly memorable. Just don’t forget to take (and charge) your camera so you can revisit your family memories for years to come.
Do you want to win a video camera?
There are two giveaways for you! Want to capture your own family memories on video? We’re giving away two Sony Handycams! To enter for a chance to win, simply comment on this post with an answer to the following question: what’s your favorite family memory?
Want a chance to win weekly prizes like a Sony Handycam or a $200 Disney shopping card? Enter to win here!
MORE ON BABBLE: