Kids + Dogs + Limited Budget: 5 reasons I love area rugs.Meagan Francis
So do dogs.
I have both.
Which means that any flooring I have needs to be:
Easy to clean (like the gorgeous resilient vinyl tiles we recently put in our entryway)
Adept at hiding stains, and/or
This is why I love area rugs.
We have hardwoord flooring through most of our main floor, but the living-room floor is covered with a light colored, cheap Berber-style carpet that harkens back to this house’s previous life as a rental. (What is it with landlords and off-white carpets!?)
We considered having our living room re-carpeted in a more reasonable color, but we didn’t quite have new wall-to-wall carpets in the budget, and it just seemed risky to invest in something so permanent when we have several little kids and a puppy.
So area rugs factor heavily into our home decor, for a few reasons:
1. You can pick up area rugs in a wide variety of price ranges, from this washed jute with black trim, great for nature-inspired rooms:
2. You can easily swap them out if you get new furniture, or just move them to a different room of the house when you need to change things up.
3. They can be a good way to experiment with bold colors or prints in a small way:
4. Use an area rug to bring a trendy color into your home without making a huge investment.
5. The last reason I love area rugs? No installation! All of the above rugs can be ordered online – you can pick it up at your local store or choose delivery. Get home and unroll. It really doesn’t get much easier than that!
Do you love area rugs? In what areas of your home do you use them?