I love few things more than watching my boys get super engrossed in a world of make-believe, when they get so deep into pretending and building worlds that time falls away for them and they just.keep.playing.
No asking to play with my computer, no whining that they are bored, no fighting with each other to occupy their time.
But what my boys don’t know is that all of that imaginative play is actually critical for their brain development.
Yup, pretending is a child’s work.
My Top Five Reasons Imaginative Play Is So Important.
- It helps cognitive development. Yup. Imaginative play just might enhance a child’s future academic performance.
- It keeps them entertained longer than almost any other activity…before they know it, hours have passed.
- Kids learn problem solving. When negotiating how to tame the dragon, kids are actually developing skills that will help them tame the schoolyard bully, their future bosses, and most likely me when they are teenagers and want a later curfew.
- I love eavesdropping on their little pretend conversations…it’s all getting the bad guys and sound effects and strategy to thwart bad guys and more sound effects and bad guys getting defeated.
- Imaginative play increases language skills; it enhances their ability to communicate effectively. Again, this will probably come back to haunt me when they are older.
image-33 1 of 5"And we have to make sure bad guys can't get in over there."
Look at those cute little hands. 2 of 5The two of them are creating a whole new world.
image-34 3 of 5They don't know they are working. :)
4 of 5They are concentrating so hard...this is serious business, defending a castle.
5 of 5"Vvvvvssshhhhh!" (That's a flying sound.)
The youngest Worthingtons (aka The Littles) even recorded a timelapse video on my phone of them playing with the Imaginext Eagle Talon Castle. The angles are awful and it just makes the movie even cuter!
Want this toy? You’re in luck! Every single day leading up to the holidays a blogger will be giving away a toy! Simply comment below for your chance to win a Air Hogs Hover Assault Helicopter.
Do you know a deserving family, school, or charity this holiday season? We’re giving away one grand set of 20 toys from Target, including those mentioned in this post! To nominate, simply comment and tell us why you’ve selected them!