So on my last few cruise posts I sort of lied when I said I’d never been on one. I have. But believe it or not, I was performing stand-up comedy at the time and it was many years ago, many lives ago really. No kids, no real job to speak of (this gig didn’t count because it barely paid), no man and no prospects. But when you’re on a cruise the water has a way of making you feel that all is right with the world. And honestly, if the open seas, salty ocean air and nothing to do all day but tan doesn’t make you feel good, then you must turn to music.
When I talk about music for a cruise I don’t mean Jack Johnson or DMB or God forbid, Jimmy Buffet. I’m into music that makes you feel something and helps you to reconnect, think, and appreciate what you have and where you are.
Here are ten songs to download to your mobile listening device or sample or, or, or just do what you want. I’m not the boss of you. Also, there aren’t ten of each. Does everything have to have an even number? No. Life isn’t always even or fair. Hey, you’re going on a cruise so there’s that right?
Happy Cruise Music
1. James Morrison – You Give Me Something
2. Alana Davis – 32 Flavors (and then some)
3. Lenka – Don’t Let Me Fall
4. Ellis Paul – The World Ain’t Slowing Down
5. Shawn Colvin – When the Rainbow Comes
6. Style Council – My Ever Changing Moods
7. The Thrills – One Horse Town
More Contemplative Cruise Music
1. Fountains of Wayne – All Kinds of Time
2. Ben Folds – Still
3. Brandi Carlile – That Wasn’t Me
4. Colin Hay – Waiting For My Real Life To Begin
5. Rosie Thomas – Wedding Day
6. -Loudin Wainwright III - Carrickfergus (Only problem is you have to purchase the whole Boardwalk Empire soundtrack album but it’s worth it for this song)
7. Wilco – Jesus etc.
8. Annie Lennox – Many Rivers To Cross (From Idol Gives Back – WHATEVER it’s a mind-blowing version)
9. Patty Griffin – Time Will Do the Talking
10. Colin Hay – Freedom Calling
Want more from me on Babble? Try What Do Real Women Look Like After Having a Baby? or Ten Things I Wish You Wouldn’t Say In Front of My Daughter
Follow me on Twitter,
Check out my personal blog Baby On Bored