My family is both easy and hard to please when we travel. In general my kids are great travelers. They are curious about the world, love to try new stuff and are seasoned commuters, flyers and road trippers.
But they are all different ages. The five year old and the sixteen year old pretty much only agree on the fact that Disneyland is the best place ever. But they part company at the rollercoaster and Small World ride entrances.
There there is me, and there is my husband. I like to go out. I like to shop. I like to be pampered and I like to be entertained. Most of all I like to take photos. He likes to live off the land, read academic texts, unplug and keep it simple.
This summer we are traveling with my parents, who are in their 80s. We’re cruising on Celebrity Cruise Lines (note: this is not a sponsored post) in the Mediterranean. Although we’ve never been big cruisers, I booked the cruise because it just made sense for such a big vacation. Finally a way to make everyone happy. I think a cruise is a perfect family vacation for us.
Here’s what I am looking forward to:
- Babysitting and Kid’s Clubs for my 5 and 8 yr old sons – they won’t be tagging along bored, and we will possibly enjoy adult conversation
- Teen Club for my Teenagers – they won’t be rolling their eyes at us and making us miserable about their inability to text. Prayers for cute boys in teen club have been said (by them, not me)
- Art Studio for my mom – she’s not painted in decades and is looking forward to an opportunity to dabble at sea
- Lounge chair for my dad – he is a champion lounger on vacation, must be where I get it from
- A great mix of port activities that will thrill my academic husband, curious kids, and shutterbug self.
The other thing that makes a cruise the best vacation for our group is the ease of dining. Our ship can handle my gluten free issues and we never have to negotiate with everyone about whose restaurant choice “wins”. It’s already settled.
I’m looking forward to a great vacation. I’ll keep you posted about whether my theory was correct!