Are you sick of hearing about Alt Summit from all of your favorite bloggers? Are you afraid to ask about it because you don’t want to look like you’re not in the know?
Well just in case you’ve been busy working, or taking care of your children or doing something like LAUNDRY…we’ll quickly update you. Alt Summit is a conference for design, lifestyle and fashion bloggers intended to help them grow their brand, monetize their blogs, and work on achieving their goals. There are a lot of amazing keynote speakers, as well as panels and classes.
Here we are being REALLY good students at a panel.
This year Susan spoke on a 4-person panel to the whole conference about advance blogging skills. Her focus was on passive income and working smarter, not harder. Alison taught a hands-on class on Saturday about the benefits of adding video to your site, and then helped people learn how to edit videos in iMovie.
We figured you might not have been at the conference, or in our classes, so we have a few highlights for you here!
Susan Petersen’s Tips for Working Smarter, Not Harder:
1. You don’t need to have all of your ducks in a row, you just need a duck! You’ve got a great idea, but you hold back on pushing it live because you don’t have everything sorted. I say, push it out! User experience and trusted friends will help you get it right.
2. Content is King. That being said, once it’s pushed out, get to work on making it the best. Take the feedback and make improvements.
3. Create Systems. Everything in your business should have a system from the way you take photographs to the way you publish a blog post, work on systems. Once you can easily teach someone the way that you do something, then you have a system. And THEN you can start to generate passive income.
4. Do what you do best and hire out the rest. What do you like to do and what are you good at? Do only that and hire everything else out.
5. You can not be the entrepreneur and engineer in your own business, both roles have opposing goals and values. Keep that in mind when hiring out, don’t hire a better version of you, hire someone that does the things that you don’t want to.
Alison Faulkner’s Reasons Why Video Enhances Your Site:
1. Video can help you rank higher with search engines. A web page is 53 times more likely to be ranked on the front page of Google if it contains video.
2. Video helps viewers feel personally engaged with your content. It reaches them on a more intimate level and helps them feel more connected and invested in you and your content.
3. If content is king, editing is like the counselor behind the throne! Do not be fooled, you can have fantastic content for your videos but if it is edited poorly no one is going to care. Do not overlook this step. You do not need a TON of money or mad skills. Try collaborating with a videographer, even an amateur one, or look into editing tutorials on Youtube.
4. You do not need to start with all professional equipment. The only equipement you REALLY need to get started: something to film with (this can be your iPhone!), a tri pod, good lighting, and some editing software. Even these basic supplies are enough to get you started on your path the video stardom.
5. Watch lots of other videos and notice their editing and pacing techniques. Keep your videos under 3 minutes and ask yourself these questions before you make each one:
-Why am I making this a video?
-What do you want it to do? Instruct, inspire, set a mood?
-What is your call to action? Do you want to send them to your site, leave them with a feeling or a mood, or sell a product? Make sure that’s clear.
We hope you felt a little piece of Alt Summit in your heart, and we all promise to stop talking about it. Soon!
Love and Donuts,
ALison and Susan