If you are like me, you suffer from scrapbook guilt. You have one friend that has saved every photo and memory of their child’s first days and put them in beautifully bound books. You wanted to be that way but you aren’t. Every time you see a baby’s footprint, it rears it’s head. I have found a way to ease the scrapbook guilt: The Summer Interview.
Every summer starting now, interview your kids, write down the answers and keep them. You can compare them from year to year, giggle at them, cry and remember. Easy peasy.
Here are the 25 questions I used this summer along with my kids’ answers.
The subjects: Ella, age 7, Ruby, age 5, Bowen, age 2 (almost 3!)
1. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Ella: An engineer
Ruby: An artist
Bowen: A fish
2. What are you most proud of?
Ella: How I do such a good job on climbing.
Ruby: My art and how I treat dolls like my own kids.
Bowen: Hippo (his transitional object)
3. What is your favorite movie?
Ella: The Parent Trap
Ruby: Brave Little Toaster
4. What is your favorite book?
Ella: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Nancy Clancy
Ruby: Stuart Little and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Bowen: Curious George at the Beach
5. How would you describe your style?
6. What is your favorite animal?
Ella: Flamingos and chimpanzees
Ruby: A monkey
Bowen: A moose and a…
7. What makes something fair?
Ella: working as a team
Ruby: Not shouting at your friends and sisters.
Bowen: A pig.
8. What is your favorite meal?
Ella: artichoke hearts and eel avocado rolls.
Ruby: Shu Mai
9. What is love?
Ella: Your heart
Ruby: When you be nice to each other.
10. If you were on an island and could only bring three things, what would they be?
Ella: All kinds of foods including dessert, my family, and tons of water.
Ruby: Shumai, my family and strawberries.
11. What is your favorite word?
Ella: love and peace
Bowen: I love pasta and tomato sauce.
12. What makes you want to be someone’s friend?
Ella: How helpful, loving, respectful and caring they are.
Ruby: How loving and how much they like me.
13. What is your favorite sport?
14. What is your favorite place to travel?
Ella: Camping at Joshua Tree because I go with my friends.
Ruby: Maine to see my cousins.
Bowen: Mexico because I love to watch TV. (he was sick in bed in mexico)
15. What is the best thing about your family?
Ella: They help me when I need it and they are very nice and fun to play with.
Ruby: That they love me.
Bowen: Watching TV
16. What is the hardest thing about your life?
Ella: Hardest thing? I don’t know. Some things in school. Maybe homework.
Ruby: When I have to get dressed by myself.
Bowen:” Starts singing It’s a Hard Knock Life. Then says, “When we have to brush our teeth.”
17. What makes you strong?
Ella: My brain and my heart and my health.
Ruby: When I eat vegetables.
18. What three words would you use to describe yourself?
Ella: Caring, sweet, and fun.
Ruby: Happy, exciting and grateful.
19. What place makes you happiest?
Ella: The cabins in Maine.
20. What is your favorite color?
Bowen: All the colors. Orange, yellow and green and light green.
21. What makes you like a teacher?
Ella: How fun they are.
Ruby: If the teacher is smart.
22. What is your favorite family tradition?
Ella: Friday night movie night.
Ruby: To see my cousins every year.
23. If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?
Ella: I would take away “tricky” people and take away things that are bad for your body. Can you write “example: cigarettes.”
Ruby: No guns and robbers.
24. What is the difference between boys and girls?
Ella: That is a trick question. There is nothing really that makes them different.
Ruby: Girls have vaginas and boys have penises.
25. If you could ask your mommy and daddy one question what would it be?
Ella: Can you tell me a funny story about when you were little?
Ruby: How did you get so smart?
So that completes our 2013 family interview. What questions would you suggest adding? Please let me know in the comments below.