5 Things I've Eased Up On Since I First Became a ParentLauren Hartmann
As many first time parents do, I came into my new role as a mommy with a laundry list of expectations. These were expectations for myself, expectations for my baby and expectations for how I was going to parent.
And…like most parents the reality was a bit different than what I’d imagined. Overall, I’ve stuck by the things that are truly important to me, but I’ve also learned that there are a lot of little things that weren’t worth getting hung up on.
Here are 5 things I’ve eased up on since those early days…
1. Her clothes 1 of 5I used to make sure that everything Fern was wearing (even her pajamas) matched. But, now if we're only going to be hanging out at home, I don't really care all that much. I still don't take her out of the house in pajamas or anything, but I've eased up on worrying about whether or not every outfit is perfect.
2. Caring when people think she’s a boy 2 of 5I don't dress my baby in pink, so people always mistake her for being a boy. I used to correct them, but now I'm over it. I know she's a girl, so who cares what everyone else thinks?
3. Pink-hating 3 of 5While we're on the topic, I used to hate dressing Fern in pink and I literally wouldn't even put her in pink pajamas. Now that she's getting a little bit older, I've realized that sometimes a little bit of pink girliness is kind of cute on her.
4. Sleep training 4 of 5I tried my hardest to put Fern on a sleep schedule, but all it achieved was me being stressed out and it just wasn't worth it. Now we're on a schedule, but it's one that Fern naturally fell into and when it gets thrown off a bit, it's really not the end of the world.
5. Doing everything by the book 5 of 5I used to feel pressure to do everything perfectly, but I've realized that none of us are perfect as parents and we're all just figuring it out as we go. Subscribing to one specific type of parenting style just doesn't work for me, so I take some, I leave some, but overall I d what works for our family.
Lauren Hartmann is the founder of The Little Things We Do, a blog about life and adventures in Portland Oregon. Follow her on Twitter and Facebook, or catch up on all of her posts here on Babble. More Babbling…
- 10 Things I Miss About Being Pregnant…Seriously!
- Fern’s Cutest Photos From Her 8th Month
- 10 Baby Items You Can Use Well Beyond the Baby Years
- The One Item Every Mom Needs In Her Wardrobe and 5 Ways To Style It