5 Ways to Make a New Mom SmileJacinda
When you have a baby, friends always gush “Let me know what I can do to help!!” Do you take them up on it? My peeps have been so amazing since Gordon was born three weeks ago. Here are my favorite 5 ways to make a new mom smile based on my own recent experience. Maybe they will inspire you to do something sweet for a mama that you love or even to ask for help yourself!
1. Deliver a meal. And leave. – I’m a transplant to Texas so this is new to me. When you have a baby in Texas, your friends, neighbors and family coordinate a schedule of meal deliveries. WHAT?! Yes, you heard me. Every other day, someone delivers a fresh and healthy (or at least delicious) meal to our doorstep. They drop a stack of disposable containers on the counter, give any reheating instructions, gush over baby and leave you to your dinner. We are eating better than we ever have. Do people do this where your live?
2. Taxi service. – My sister-in-law has been taking big sister to school every day since Gordon was born. Not having to load up the gang and drag them into a germ-filled school after a sleepless night is pretty much the best thing ever.
3. Gifts for the baby who has everything. – Did you have a shower for your second? third? fourth baby? There are mixed opinions but I think it’s so nice for any baby to be celebrated and any mom to be treated to a little TLC. A card, toy or a tasty treat is so appreciated. One of the best new mama gifts I’ve received is an Edible Arrangement. I’m not kidding.
4. Cocktail hour. – Being a new mom can be magical but can also be lonely. Offer to swing by for a cup of tea or a little glass of wine. Just don’t make eye contact with the pile of unfolded laundry on the couch or mention the crusty stain on my shirt.
5. Lie to me. – Listen, I don’t know if I have been dropping a shocking amount of baby weight in three weeks but I sure do like to hear how svelte I’m looking. Or that my messy up-do is super stylish. Or that my new-found boobs look great in this top.
What is the nicest thing anyone has done for you as a new mom?