When to call the doctor
Even experienced parents might have an “Is this normal?” adjustment period to their new baby and question whether something needs medical attention or will clear up in a day or so. If you see any of the following, give your doctor a call:
- Blue lips. Call 911 immediately.
- Blue, yellow or pale skin.
- Yellow eyes.
- Patches of white in the baby’s mouth, which is most likely a contagious fungal infection called thrush.
- A red, oozing or smelly umbilical cord.
- A temperature of 100 degrees or more.
- No stool for 48 hours.
- Fewer than six wet diapers a day.
- Frequent bowel movements, especially with liquid or mucous.
- Repeated vomiting.
- Several refusals to eat in a row.
- Excessive sleepiness or any other drastic behavioral change.