Right up there in importance next to eating is getting your baby enough sleep. A desperate parent will try almost anything: a hair dryer, a walk around the block, a car ride. A lot of moms we know swear by the gospel of dark rooms, swaddling, and white noise machines. You will find what little quirky tricks it takes to get yours to sleep. Here are some gear options to help you on your quest.
- Bassinet or Moses Basket The first few months when the baby wakes up at night, you’ll want them close by. A small bassinet will fit right next to your bed and fits most babies up to four months old.
- Bassinet Sheets (3) One on the bed, one in the wash and one clean spare in the drawer.
- Receiving Blankets 6 The stretchier the better. The secret to a good swaddle is the stretch!
- Blankets (5) Blankets of varying warmth.
Extra Suggested Buys
- White Noise Machine Babies like the soothing sound of white noise.
- Swaddlers Eventually your baby will be able to wiggle out of the strongest swaddles, a product like the Swaddle Pod, keeps their little arms from moving and waking themselves up during sleeptime.
- Sleeping Wedge Some babies love to be propped up at an angle, this wedge does the trick.
- Audio Monitor Depending on how spread out your house is this may be a necessity more than a suggestion. See which models stood up to our tests in the Babble laboratory.
- Video Monitor A new parent’s dream come true, an entire channel devoted to watching them sleep. Click over to see our Babble tester’s video monitor of choice.