Welcome to Babble,
Sign Out

Get the Babble Newsletter!

Already have an account? .

Flange. Not Phalange.

flange for medela breastpump


Flange? I thought it was spelled “Phalange.”

Flange is another name for those special breast pump parts that attach to your boobs and look like space-age torpedo shooters or something Madonna might have worn in her Vogue period.

It isn’t only for breast pumps:

Flange: (n) A protruding rim, edge, rib, or collar, as on a wheel or a pipe shaft, used to strengthen an object, hold it in place, or attach it to another object.

Medela calls it a breastshield. I blame my doula for making it a two syllable word-“Fuh-lange.”

Don’t ask me where I came up with the ‘Ph’ part. I figured it must be spelled some fancy way. Never mind that I didn’t see it in the dictionary when I looked it up. And not one person corrected me in this post. Maybe no one said anything because I was sleep-deprived with a newborn. No one wanted to hurt my feelings. I appreciate that.

Anyway, this is a flange. Not a ‘phalange.’ Perhaps I’ll just start saying ‘breastshield.’

At least, now I know the truth.

Tagged as: , , , ,

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Learn More.