As a parent with a little baby, life tends to revolve around naps and bed time. Miss your “sleep window” and you’re in for a grumpy and overtired baby, so it’s up to you to make sure you’re home at those crucial times. The only problem with this? Life.
Life gets in the way of our carefully planned nap schedules and as much as you try to schedule around these sleep times, there are occasions when you’re just going to have to suck it up and go with the flow and take baby along with you to these events. Sometimes this means napping on the go in the car and other times this means sleeping at someone’s house during an evening affair.
For a baby who is on a regimented schedule, this can be a challenge, but here are 5 things to to make the process easier!
1. Bring a bed 1 of 5Odds are there won't be a baby friendly spot for your little one to sleep where you're going, so bring along a travel play yard for baby to sleep in. You can also try getting your little one used to it ahead of time by having them nap in it if you wanted.
Graco Pack N' Play ($69.99) from Toys R Us
2. Bring pajamas 2 of 5This one is pretty obvious, but cozy pajamas are just one other comfort from home that will be familiar to your baby, thus making the sleeping in a strange place go a little more smoothly.
3. Bring the noise 3 of 5If you're having dinner with friends it's nice to not have to worry about being too loud for baby, so white noise is great to have. For us it's a necessity since our baby sleeps with white noise every night. This app is great - and free!
Relax Melodies App (free!) from iTunes
4. Bring along a baby monitor 4 of 5Depending on the size of the house you're at you may not need one, but it never hurts to be prepared. You can even download this Baby Monitor app and turn your iPhone into a monitor that will send a text to another phone (perhaps your partner's) when your baby wakes and will use Face Time to help you see them. A truly useful tool.
Baby Monitor App ($4.99) from iTunes
5. Bring a lovie 5 of 5If your baby is old enough to sleep with a stuffed toy or little blankie, the familiar comfort will definitely help them feel more at ease in their new surroundings.
Jelly Cat Bonne Nuit Bunny ($17.99) from Diapers.com