I’ve been thinking a lot about goals (NOT resolutions!) for 2012, most of them involve work, creativity, home life or my health. But what I realized I have not focused on enough are my “mom goals” — those things I want to achieve or do that fall under the parenting category.
I’ve jotted down these goals and plan on returning to them regularly so that I don’t just flail through the weeks without remembering who I want to be as a mom.
Here are my goals for 2012:
1. Slowly go to bed earlier so that by Feb I’m going to bed at a decent hour every night – this might not seem like a mom goal at first, but it definitely is. By the time I get all my kids and then the baby down for the night I need so much time just to decompress that I’m staying up ridiculously late. The reason this affects me as a mother is that I am not at all a useful parent until nearly lunchtime the next day. Oh I’m up and doing things, but I’m still in a sleepy survival mode so there is pretty much no efficiency going on. This needs to change.
2. Get crafty with the kids at least once a week – I really love DIYs and crafting, but I typically use these activities as therapy or just to make what I’m in the mood for. I realize now that my kids can join me in those things much more often (not just for special occasions!). Even the baby can get in on the action just to have fun with different textures and hands on fun.
3. Get an annual pass for the county parks – we have amazing county parks here that are huge and have tons to do in each one. I want the kids to be in the habit of outdoor fun and create memories at the parks each week. The baby loves to be outside, and nothing beats the sun for some good vitamin D.
4. Get an annual pass for the children’s museum – another place I want my children to start creating memories is at our awesome children’s museum. They even have amazing nooks for babies to crawl and explore – so fun!
5. Print pictures out once a week – this is a big one. I’ve already started making the habit of taking more pictures of the kids and the baby, but now I want to set aside time each week to actually print some out. I’ll use these in frames or in a memory book or just to tack up on the wall in my office. I can switch them out and replace with new ones, but the point is to have photos I can actually hold in my hand and remember to actually look at every day.
What mama goals do you have for 2012?
Don’t miss the latest from Baby’s First Year Like Us on Facebook!
More on Baby’s First Year: