But one thing I never thought I’d have to deal with is attempting to breastfeed though a nasty case of poison ivy.
Let me be more specific, I have poison ivy ON MY BOOBS.
I swear, I get poison ivy almost every single summer. I once wrote on my personal blog about how my husband pass on the itch to a few of my *ahem* sensitive parts.
And apparently, this is no different. Except I’m now breastfeeding.
I’m pretty confident I know how I got the itch, and at the end of the day, it’s probably not my husbands fault. I think my dog ran through a patch of poison ivy, got the dangerous oils on his coat, and then he rubbed up against me and passed on the infection. The rash started on my ankles (which is where I have it the worst), and has worked it’s way up to my chest (not to be confused with my nipple, I do not have poison ivy on my nipples).
But I’m paranoid I’m going to pass it on to baby Paul. Nothing more adorable than a baby with poison ivy on his face and around his mouth. Am I right?
As of right now, Paul appears not to have contracted poison ivy from me. I’m taking some precautions, and trying to avoid skin-to-skin contact of any kind with my affected areas and his delicate baby skin. I’m even experimenting with different breastfeeding holds to keep him away from my rash.
But honestly, I’m going to feel like the worst mother on the planet if my baby breaks out with poison ivy, because I gave it to him.
Have any of you ever contracted poison ivy on your chest while breastfeeding? I would love to hear any and all stories!
More Babbling from Emily…