Today, April 29th, is SIDS awareness day. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the unexplained death of a sleeping child under the age of a year old. While there is no known cure for the syndrome, there are precautions parents and caregivers can take to potentially lessen the likelihood of SIDS.
A few tips include:
- Sleep baby on his/her back.
- Sleep baby in his/her own sleep space, and use a firm mattress.
- Do not clutter the sleep space with pillows, blankets or crib bumpers.
- Keep baby cool, so he/she does not overheat.
- Use a fan in the nursery, to keep the air circulation moving and fresh.
Sadly ,even though proper precautions are often taken, over 2,500 infant deaths a year in the United State are due to SIDS.
About 4 years ago, I was personally affected by the devastation of SIDS when my best friend lost her firstborn son at 3 months of age. No doubt, SIDS new a parents worst nightmare. Since being personally affected in such a deep way, I’m now a strong supporter of any company or organization that helps to raise SIDS awareness.
It’s no secret, I’ve been a huge fan of aden + anais from the moment I laid eyes on their super soft and adorable muslin swaddling blankets. I recently was pleasantly surprised to find out that aden + anais is a proud sponsors of the CJ foundation, a foundation that supports SIDS Awareness. How cool is that?
In fact, Raegan Moya-Jones (co-founder of aden + anais) wrote a book called Swaddle Love; about the benefits of muslin cotton and the growing evidence that swaddling may indirectly prevent SIDS.
To raise awareness for SIDS prevention, aden + anais would like to give one Baby’s First Year reader an amazing gift!
- One aden + anais Crib Sheet.
- One aden + anais muslin swaddle.
- One aden + anais 0-6 month sized sleeping bag.
- and a copy of the book Swaddle Love.
Use the Rafflecopter below to enter:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Winner will be randomly selected and Notified May 6th, 2012.