Diet plays as much of a role in how we look and feel, if not more, than the topical beauty products we use.
It’s well established that a diet high in processed or refined carbohydrates and unhealthy fats promotes skin aging while incorporating a variety of fruits and vegetables, low-fat or fat-free dairy products, nuts, seeds and beans, and whole-grain breads and pasta is optimal for both body functions and appearance 1.
Easier said than done, I know but the proof is in the pudding and the times I’ve focused on a “clearer” diet, I noticed an immediate difference in my skin and energy level.
In recent years, “superfoods” has become a big buzz word, that is, foods packed with large doses of antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals, and health or medical benefits 2.
Many superfoods are reported to benefit specific areas of the body, although the research is conflicting. In any case, if you’re going to snack, a low-calorie superfood is a great option, especially for kids.
Here are 5 kid-approved superfoods to try this summer for a head to toe summer glow:
What’s your personal “superfood” that you notice beauty benefits from?
More from Jill Seiman on Babble Beauty this month:
- Summer Beauty Tips from 5 of Hollywood’s Most Sought-After Makeup Artists & Hairstylists
- Lauren Conrad’s Summer Beauty Favorites
- Short & Chic! How to Determine if Summer’s Hottest Hair Trend is Right for You
- Sun Safety: Top Rated Sunscreens for the Entire Family
- Highest Rated Makeup Products With SPF
- 20 Beauty Products & Trends You Should Try This Summer
- Grooming Gifts for Men
- 10 Stylish Toiletry Bags To Sail Away With This Summer