Exfoliating is Great for More Than Just Your FaceStephanie Lee
We hear it all the time, “Exfoliating is necessary for your face”, or as my mom would say, “Stephanie, go scrub your face.” While this is very true, what about the rest of the skin on our body that ages, dries out, breaks out, stretches, and feels and looks uneven? They need to be exfoliated, too!
So, what exactly is exfoliation? Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells from your face and body.
There are many benefits to exfoliating more than just your face. If you have dry skin; you might also be sporting dry patchy skin, which leads to an uneven skin tone. There’s also oily skin; which leads to acne. Unfortunately, acne doesn’t just happen on your face. It also can appear on your chest, back, and even your arms! Let us not forget that maturing skin! We can always get our face lifted, or slap on a brilliant foundation, however ladies, the rest of our skin doesn’t lie. And what about the girl (or gentleman) walking on a cold February day in New York with a full, glowing spray tan? Exfoliating is extremely beneficial in these circumstance — removing the dead skin gives that spray tan an even smoother surface to adhere to.
Not convinced, yet? Here are some more reasons to exfoliate all over:
- Exfoliating keeps skin soft and glowing.
- Prevents pores from clogging (which aids in acne control).
- Speeds up cell renewal, so we can all age gracefully.
- Helps diminish visible fine lines and wrinkles, while slowing down new ones from showing.
- Exfoliating before shaving will give you a closer shave (meaning less razor bumps and ingrown hairs).
If you have acne prone skin, try this:
- Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub. (Neutrogena $5.99) Formulated with Salicylic Acid to deep clean pores, and has microbeads to gently scrub away dead skin cells.
If you have aging skin, try this:
- Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Buffing Beads face and body (Sephora-$36) Formulated with Salicylic acid Glycolic acid, and botanical brighteners to help exfoliate — these beads produce beautiful, glowing skin.
If you have dry patchy skin, try this:
- L’OCCITANE Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Scrub (l’occitane $38) Formulated with Shea Butter, Apricot oil and finely ground nutshells for a gentle exfoliation — leaving the skin smooth and hydrated.
And if you only use all natural products, try this:
- S.W Basics of Brooklyn Body Scrub $22. Formulated with coarse organic demerara sugar, and organic shredded coconut for exfoliation with some moisturizing organic coconut oil. This body scrub is completely edible!
When exfoliating you can use a washcloth, a brush (like the Clarisonic), or a exfoliating glove. These products will help give you great results all the time. Remember: too much of a good thing can be bad, so don’t over do it or you might cause irritation.
You can even make a DIY exfoliant — check out this DIY Body Scrub!