In Defense of Gwyneth Paltrow: Worlds Most Beautiful WomanSonya Benham
Gwyneth Paltrow has suffered a lot of criticism in the wake of being named People Magazine’s World’s Most Beautiful Woman. She’s been accused of being pompous, elitist and generally out of touch. She was even named the most hated celebrity in Star Magazine poll beating out some seriously unlikable characters. While I get that some of the things she says may be a little annoying for those of us with more modest backgrounds, I’m not sure she’s worthy of all this hate.
I may be crazy, but I don’t feel that Gwyneth is all that hard to identify with despite being in a wildly different socio-economic class. Here are 6 ways I can relate to everybody’s favorite villain:
- Gwyneth is my age. I think it’s pretty fantastic that she was picked as the World’s Most Beautiful Woman by People Magazine. I hope that it is proof that we are moving away from a narrow view of beauty. Smile lines have been sexy on men for years and it’s about time older women get the same respect.
- She’s a mother. A wise friend once said, “Parenthood is the great equalizer.” Yes, she has more help than many of us. A lot more. But if you are a parent you know that there are enormous challenges, joys, and burdens regardless of financial status.
- Gwyneth is a blogger, and as such is an over-sharer, like me. As a blogger you can’t ever be relatable to everybody so it takes a lot of bravery to put yourself out there. Not all of the content on GOOP is helpful for the average person but it’s honest. And sometimes it’s fun to see how the other half (ok, 2%) lives.
- After I had my son, I had a lot of trouble losing the baby weight. I took her advice and started doing the Tracy Anderson Method. I’m sure I’m as annoying as she is on this point because I tell everyone about it. Because it really works. I don’t have a fancy gym or private sessions or the time to put in 2 hour long sessions like Gwyneth does and guess what? It still works.
- In my humble opinion, Gwyneth is a pretty decent role model for balance. Yes, she eats healthy a lot of the time but she admits to the occasional indulgence food, wine, and even a once-a-week cigarette. It seems like she gets a lot of flack for being perfect but she’s not and she admits that. Besides, how would downing Cheetos and pepsi make her more likeable? Doesn’t seem like it worked that well for Britney Spears.
- She has a sense of humor. On The Ellen Degeneres Show, she said everyone had to go “scrambling for a razor” before she got into the see-through dress she wore to the LA premiere of Iron Man 3. And did you see the video of her rapping with Cameron Diaz for Chelsea Handler? I like that she’s not afraid to laugh at herself or look goofy.
Honestly, I don’t read her blog very often. Occasionally, I do find something of value on GOOP like these yummy-looking one-pan meals but for the most part, it’s not really written for my demographic. I can’t afford the products or to go to the places she recommends. But I don’t hate her for that and as you can see above, there are plenty of reasons for a woman like me to actually kind of like her.