I’ve spoken with a lot of women who are apprehensive about wearing a red lip because they feel “too made up” or “doll-like.” But once you find the right tone of red and the right consistency, you may find yourself looking for any excuse to wear your it!
In order to wear a flawless red lip, there are a few steps to take to ensure the best looking result.
1. Exfoliate your lips. Using a lip exfoliator will help slough off any dead skin cells and make your lips kissably soft. Any color of lip product will apply better and last much longer after exfoliating.
2. Prime your lips with a lip primer. Using a lip primer, like MAC’s prep and prime, will help your lipstick stay in place. This is altogether different from simply applying a swipe of chapstick. A lipstick primer is formulated to act like double-sided tape for your lipstick. Chapstick may be too greasy and not allow the color to adhere as well to your lips.
3. Apply lipstick with a lip brush. This may seem like an unnecessary step, but it’s the best way to get a professional finish. Red lipstick will show every error and smudge, so applying it with a brush will prevent you from laying it on too heavy.
4. Dust translucent powder over lips. Using a clean, fluffy brush, dust a bit of translucent powder over your red lips. This will help “layer” the lipstick so you won’t run into the smudging or fading issues that can happen with a bold lip color.
5. Apply a final coat of lipstick. Using your lip brush again, apply a final coat of the lip color. Pay attention to the edges and corners of your mouth. Apply enough product so your lips feel hydrated, but not so much that you think it may smear onto your teeth!
If you take all these steps, I’m confident you’ll have a flawless red lip to sport at any occasion or event!