Once I taught a food-writing course to a bunch of college students; there were about 15 or so seniors, and every single one of them ate yogurt for breakfast. I mean, all of them. I didn’t get it: Yogurt, to me, is such a boring food. It’s just milk that has been fermented by bacteria, after all; nomadic tribes first “invented” it as a way to preserve milk. Unlike sour cream, which has that beautifully tart flavor, and cottage cheese, which has a pleasingly lumpy-bumpy texture, yogurt falls between two stools. There is something even I dig about yogurt, though: It is an outstanding ingredient in many recipes I love. What it doesn’t bring as an entree, it delivers as tangy marinade, a tenderizer, and a flavor-booster in a whole lot of other dishes. Here are ten ways I use yogurt that prove it’s not just for breakfast.
Great uses for plain yogurt:
3. Whip up a fun face mask for a beauty treatment that you can both make and use with your kids.
6. Incorporate it into baked goods: Try it in these peach-bran muffins.
7. Use it to make way-better turkey burgers.
8. OK, this is breakfast, but it’s far from ho-hum: Make your own Swiss-style muesli.
9. Use it make creamy salad dressing (like this ranch) that is not-so-bad for you.
10. Use it to replace the mayonnaise in your favorite recipe for chicken or tuna or pasta salad.
photo: Courtesy of Dairy Australia