Did you know that the recommended daily sodium intake for a healthy American is 2,300 mg, which equals 1 teaspoon of salt? And according to sodium expert and author Sodium Girl, 90 percent of adults consume almost double that recommended amount on a daily basis! So if you are looking to reduce the amount of sodium in your diet, here are a few very easy ideas you can use when cooking your favorite foods and recipes. From using smart citrus to adding spices and fresh herbs, these seven tips will have you loving your food all while pushing aside that salt shaker. Plus check out Sodium Girl’s Low Sodium Recipe Rally, get some amazing low sodium recipes from bloggers, and enter to win a Vitamix!
Get the recipe for the Lemon-Pesto Avocado Toast shown at top + enter Sodium Girl’s Vitamix giveaway on Healthy. Happy. Life.
Check out Sodium Girl’s cookbook on Amazon: Sodium Girl’s Limitless Low-Sodium Cookbook
photo credits: Kathy Patalsky
More on Family Kitchen:
* Queen Cake with Fresh Fruit
* 10 Tropical Recipes to Cheer Up Winter Weather
* Red Beans and Rice Mardi Gras Veggie Burger
* 22 Pretty in Pink Valentine’s Day recipes
* Cheezy “Kale Chip” Kale side dish
* 16 Creative Sweet Potato Recipes
* Double Chocolate Cake loaf