7 Reasons to Drink Coconut Water this New Yearkathypatalsky
There is one drink I always have in my fridge during the holidays – and especially on New Year’s Eve. Coconut water! Here are 7 reasons why this natural tropical beverage is such a handy item to have in your kitchen this holiday and into the 2012!..
7 Reasons to Drink Coconut Water this New Year (and into 2012!)
1. Hangover Cure. Or Hydration Beverage. Maybe you plan on celebrating New Year’s Eve with more than a few sparkling sips. Or maybe not. Either way, coconut water will keep you hydrated through the holiday. And in my opinion, there is no better hangover cure than coconut water. Here is why. Most experts agree that hangover symptoms are actually caused by the dehydrating effects of too much alcohol combined with over-exertion of your body. Well one of the best drinks to rehydrate with is coconut water. Keep reading to find out why..
2. Naturally Rich in Electrolytes. You may have heard this fact that coconut water “contains five essential electrolytes and more potassium than a banana.” Electrolytes greatly aide in the hydration process – so having them built into your hydration beverage of choice (naturally!) is a very good thing. You may have even noticed many athletes starting to choose coconut water over traditional sports beverages.
3. Low in Calories. Coconut water contains about 60 calories per 11 ounces. It is fat free with no sugar added. Nothing artificial added to enhance the flavor or color. (But always read labels, as some coconut water based drinks may be enhanced with fruit juices for flavor). Those bright, colorful sports drinks on the other hand, often contain added sugar and artificial flavors and colors.
4. Isotonic Beverage. Studies have shown that coconut water is an isotonic beverage. This means that coconut water has the same electrolytic balance as human blood! Fun fact: During World War II when IV solutions were scarce, CW was used as an IV drip for patients in hospitals and clinics.
5. Versatile Drink. Coconut water is delicious chilled and sipped on its own. Or you can blend it up into smoothies or even add it directly to cocktails to aide in hydration all night long. I even love to make “coconut water ice cubes” and add these cubes to drinks and blended beverages.
6. Widely Available. Cheaper Prices! A few years ago you would have to search long and hard to find some coveted coconut water. But recently it seems to be everywhere. Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, drug stores, gas stations and more seem to have coconut water. I even spotted it for sale at Disneyland recently! The fact that the supply and the demand has grown for coconut water has driven down prices as well. For best value, buy in bulk when your favorite brand goes on sale.
7. Brand Options Abound. There used to just a few prominent brands of coconut water. And now there are many. You’ll have to try a few brands before you find the one that sits best with you and your family. More brands also means more variety in flavor and taste – also a great reason to jump on the coconut water bandwagon now. Explore a few different brands in my Coconut Water Blind Taste Test.
Expert Tip: There is truly no brand that can equal the flavor of coconut water that comes straight from the coconut – raw and unpasteurized. But you will have to seek out a juice bar that sells the drink this way – or buy those whole coconuts from your grocer (Whole Foods carries them) – and the hacking open process is slightly dangerous and difficult since you will need a sharp knife. But if you are a coconut water lover – seek out real raw coconut water because it is the best in flavor.
Personally, I am also not a huge fan of the taste of coconut water *from concentrate* – I prefer the flavor of the all natural drink. You’ll need to try both because your tastes may be different. But be aware to read labels to check if your coconut water is 100% pure, from concentrate or raw and unpasteurized.
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
Check out my 25 Healthy Foods to Add to Your Diet in 2012