7 Reasons to Eat Blueberries this Month!kathypatalsky
We all remember to eat berries in summertime when they are in-season, but winter is also a great time to enjoy healthy-delicious blueberries! Even though it is not berry season, there are plenty of good reasons to dive into your love of blueberries this month. Here are 7 of them!..
7 Reasons to Eat Blueberries this Month..
1. Low in Calories! With just 80 calories per cup and virtually no fat, blueberries offer many noteworthy nutritional benefits.
2. Heart Healthy! According to nutrition expert, Tina Ruggiero, M.S., R.D., L.D., blueberries, as part of a healthy diet and exercise plan, help reduce risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as the accumulation of belly fat.
3. Year Round Treat! Blueberries can easily be used in frozen form which means you can enjoy their “fresh” flavor and nutritional benefits year-round!
4. Variety! Blueberries have a wide variety of uses: smoothies, blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes, blueberry hot cereal, blueberry parfaits, blueberry pie or just eaten on their own!
5. Healthy Mind! According to the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, laboratory studies show a diet including blueberries may improve motor skills and reverse the short-term memory loss that comes with aging or age-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
6. Kid-Approved! Blueberries are fun and kid-friendly! You will be hard-pressed to find a kid who doesn’t love eating blueberries. Add blueberries to most any meal to give it some kid-friendly appeal.
7. Celebrate! January 28th is National Blueberry Pancake Day – so show your love of those fun blue berries by enjoying them all month long! Try this Blueberry Pancake recipe from Driscoll’s! Or try this delicious vegan Bluebird Cake with “blueberry pancake” flavor in every bite.
*thanks to Driscoll’s for providing a few of these healthy blueberry facts!
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
More on Family Kitchen: