I think cool, frosty, shake-like, ice cream-y, dessert treats always sound better with the word ‘ripple’ in the title. You agree? Fudge ripple. Caramel ripple. Vanilla cinnamon ripple. Pecan caramel ripple. Can someone make all these (vegan) shakes for me please because they just sound so tasty! I’ll blame the ripple part. And this Almond Butter Ripple Crunch Shake is no exception. Light and crunchy sliced almonds mingle with sweet banana, coconut and cinnamon flavors. And a secret ingredient worth trying!..
The secret ingredient? Coconut milk ice cubes! I’m obsessed with these things. I freeze plain old (full fat or light) coconut milk into ice cube trays and blend a few cubes into my shakes and smoothies. Ice cream effect – done! Dairy free and vegan!
Almond Butter Ripple Crunch Shake
serves 1-2, vegan
1 1/2 bananas, frozen
1/3 cup sliced almonds (the crunch part!)
a few dashes cinnamon
3/4 cup soy milk, vanilla
1 tsp maple or agave syrup (optional – use if your bananas were not super ripe when frozen)
1/4 cup coconut milk ice cubes (2-4 cubes)
1 Tbsp almond butter + 1 tsp maple or agave syrup (warm slightly for easier blending)
garnish: more sliced almonds
1. Blend the almond butter ripple sauce. Warm in microwave if needed to stir well.
2. Blend the smoothie ingredients – the sliced almond make things crisp and lovely. They add the CRUNCH!
3. Pour smoothie into glass – half way – they swirl in some ripple sauce. Then add remaining smoothie and remaining ripple. Add almonds to garnish.
Want more awesome vegan smoothies? Check out my Smoothie iPhone App! Details on Healthy. Happy. Life.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.
Don’t miss the latest from Family Kitchen – Like Us on Facebook!
More on Family Kitchen:
* 14 Meatless Meals for Back to School
* Grapefruit Blue Smoothie
* 21 Recipes to Enjoy Dessert for Breakfast – via oatmeal!
* Peanut Butter Tofu Rice Bowl
* Peanut Mandarin Rice Bowl
* 25 Super Cute Veggie Bento Kids Lunches