Apples & Cinnamon Oat Muffins
by Silvana Nardone of Dish Towel Diaries
I grew up eating packets of Quaker’s instant oatmeal. My mom would always buy the variety pack, and apples and cinnamon was my all-time
favorite. My kids aren’t such huge fans
but still love the flavor combination. They’ll happily wake up to eat these muffins any day of the week.
- 1 cup of your favorite gluten-free, all-purpose flour blend or regular all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 crisp apples, peeled, sliced, and coarsely chopped (Note: Reserve a few thin slices with peel on for topping, if desired.)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with baking liners. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth. Whisk in the oil and vanilla until combined. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined; fold in the apples.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan until almost full. Sprinkle with sugar and oats and top with an apple slice, if using.
Bake until golden and puffed, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a rack.