April Fools Pranks - Food Fake Outskathypatalsky
Instead of planning a few sinister April Fools pranks this year – trick them into trying something vegan! My sister once tricked me into biting into a fluffy white ice cream sundae topped with fluffy white… shaving cream. Well seriously, that’s just plain mean! I can still taste the “hey! that’s not whipped cream!” flavor. So be a kind prankster and try these vegan food fake outs to trick your favorite omnivore into trying something new! This year say, “April Fools! This entire meal was vegan!”
Give these ideas a try – because soy cream sure does beat shaving cream..
April Fools Pranks Ideas: Here are my favorite vegan fake out foods:
1. Vegan Hot Dogs and Sausage. Field Roast Spicy Chipotle sausage is rich and spicy with a meaty texture. Slice it into pasta, as a pizza topping or eat it in a hot dog bun. You can also find milder soy dogs for a classic hot dog fake-out for April Fools Day.
2. Vegan Cheese. Cheesy cheese can be vegan nowadays. Daiya Cheese is plant-based, but easily melts just like dairy cheese. Try this cheese on a pizza, on pasta, melted onto of a veggie burger, for grilled cheese sandwiches, on top of lasagna and enchiladas or for vegan quesadillas or nachos.
3. Vegan Ice Cream. Coconut Milk based ice cream is your best bet for authenticity of dairy ice cream. Try it in an ice cream sundae, milkshake or by the scoop onto a cone! Coconut Bliss is a great brand.
4. Vegan Marshmallows. Dandies or Sweet and Sara brand vegan marshmallows are both fantastic. Use them to make vegan s’mores, vegan rice crispy treats and more!
5. Vegan Butter. They won’t know the difference between real dairy butter and Earth Balance spread. Use it in fluffy mashed potatoes, on toast, in baked goods and pies, for sauteing veggies, on pancakes and muffins and more!
6. Vegan Chick’n. Boca, Gardein, Trader Joe’s and more brands have nearly perfected “fake meat” products. Try Gardein frozen vegan products to fake out your taste buds. My faves are the Buffalo Wings, Crispy Tenders and my husband loves the Beefless Tips. Cook them the same way you do traditional meat products. Try a Mandarin Chick’n Salad, Chickenless Salad sandwich or a Spicy Buffalo Wings appetizer.
7. Vegan Coffee Bevies. Use some basic vegan soy creamer for a dairy-free coffee and cream drink. Or use soy milk for a latte. Use plain or unsweetened flavors to mimic the taste of dairy milk.
Here are a few fun vegan fake-out recipes ideas – perfect for your April Fools Pranks:
Hot Fudge Smores Sundae
Cheesy Jalapeno Poppers
Panini Grilled Cheese
Chick’n Pesto Sandwich
BBQ Chickenless Sandwich
Mac & Cheese
Cheesy Sausage Flatbread
Smoky Pea Soup
Chickenless Salad Sandwich
Caramel Apple Pie
Choco Chip Cookies
Mint Rice Crispy Treats – traditional treats
Pasta with Sausage