Barley with Shiitakes and Spinach
Makes 6 adult servings, each about 1 cup.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped dried rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 8 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, rosemary, and garlic; saut’ 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in barley and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until barley is tender.
3. Add spinach, cheese, and pepper; cover and cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring frequently.
(For babies ages 12 – 18 months.)
Tips for baby: Omit black pepper. Serve the barley mixture in a small bowl. Cut the mushrooms and spinach into bite-sized pieces, if needed.
CALORIES 148; FAT 2.7g (sat 0.8g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 6.8g; CARB 23.5g; FIBER 4.2g; CHOL 3mg; IRON 2.9mg; SODIUM 225mg; CALC 78mg
Recipes reprinted with permission from Cooking Light First Foods, Oxmoor House © 2010