Here’s the thing. Pizza rocks. Here’s the other thing. Pizza for breakfast rocks even harder. So, if I told you that you are a mere twenty minutes away from indulging in this uber-simple breakfast pizza, wouldn’t it inhabit your every thought until you conjure it in your own kitchen? Well, it rightfully should. Because, by golly, this is the best dang breakfast pizza I’ve ever had. And, that’s saying something because I made breakfast pizza twice this morning and once last week. So, I know what I’m talking about. This combination of thick bacon bits, crumbled hot sausage, fresh tomatoes, queso fresco cheese, and topped with the drippy yolks of soft cooked eggs is truly mouthwatering. Worth making for breakfast as soon as possible. Come on. You know you wanna.
Bacon & Sausage Pizza
1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough
1/4 tablespoon cornmeal
1 cup queso fresco cheese, grated or crumbled
12 grape tomatoes, halved
3 scallions, cleaned and chopped
2 slices thick bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup hot italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1) Spread a thin layer of cornmeal on a pizza stone or cookie sheet. Unroll the pizza dough over the cornmeal, turning up the edges just slightly to create a crust.
2) Bake the crust in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Remove the crust and immediately sprinkle it with queso fresco cheese though, of course, any grated cheese will do), tomatoes, and green onions.
3) Use your finger to make small “wells” in the cheese, and crack the eggs into the center of each well. Sprinkle with bacon, sausage, and salt and pepper to taste.
4) Return to oven an bake an additional 6-8 minutes, just until the eggs are set slightly. Watch it closely! It doesn’t take long for it to overcook! (If you’d like the yolks of your eggs cooked through, leave the pizza in the oven for 2-3 minutes more.)
5) Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving. Enjoy!