Banana Cake with Lemon Icing
Makes 1 cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 large bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Lemon icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8 inch square cake tin and line with parchment paper.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg at a time, then bananas and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients into mixture, alternating with milk and beat until combined. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
To make the icing, combine powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to make a smooth paste. Spread icing onto cold cake.
- To make gluten-free, use gluten-free all-purpose flour and baking powder.