Beef and Pumpkin Curry
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef, cut into strips
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 pound peeled pumpkin, medium dice
- 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar, (can substitute w/ brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup thickened coconut milk
Heat a wok on medium-high heat.
Add oil, swirl to cover bottom of the wok and then add curry paste and shallots – stir for 3-4 minutes to combine and to prevent sticking.
Turn up the heat to high and add beef strips – toss continuously until beef is very well coated in the paste and starting to brown (approx 7-8 minutes).
Add coconut milk, lime leaves, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 30 minutes add pumpkin, stir then cover with a lid and simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In the last 10 minutes before serving, add thickened coconut milk and just before serving, add the sugar to taste – it’s best to begin slowly and to taste the curry to adjust the amount of sugar you need.
Remove and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This curry has a good kick to it, so if you’re a fan of mellower flavors, you can use a milder curry paste like a yellow curry.