Embrace your inner vampire with these red raspberry-stuffed (and smothered) waffles. These fluffy vegan waffles make for a perfect healthy fall breakfast. I call these Bella’s Red Raspberry Waffles since it is October, a spooky time of year, and the last Twilight movie comes out in mid-November. You know you (or your teenage daughter) is excited about this! Not a Twi-hard? OK, you can just call these Raspberry Waffles if you’d prefer. Sweet, rich, red raspberry puree coats these banana-infused waffles. Fluffy and light, these waffles are dairy-free and egg-free. Rich in antioxidants from the healthy raspberries. Maple syrup optional, but always well-advised for waffle mornings. I think Edward would approve..
Bella’s Red Raspberry Waffles
vegan, makes 1 extra large or 2 medium sized waffles + topping
red raspberry puree:
1 cup frozen raspberries, lightly thawed
1-3 Tbsp soy milk
1 Tbsp maple syrup
Vanilla-Banana Waffle Batter:
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp flour, organic
1/2 cup soy milk, vanilla
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice
a few dashes of cinnamon
1 banana, mashed (or sub with 1/4 cup apple sauce)
1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted (or another oil like canola)
garnish: chopped pecans
1. Heat up your waffle iron.
2. Grease your waffle iron lightly.
3. Whip up the batter, mixing by hand or a machine mixer. Add a few spoonfuls of the waffle batter to the hot iron. Then add a few spoonfuls of the raspberry puree. Then another layer of the waffle batter. The layering doesn’t have to be perfect, just be sure not to over-fill your waffle maker because the red raspberry puree has a tendency to steam and bubble a bit. Under-loading with batter is advised.
4. Close waffle iron and cook according to your machine’s directions.
5. Serve hot, with raspberry puree spread over top each waffle, chopped pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Craving more breakfast recipes from Family Kitchen? Check out 25 Genius Vegan Recipes that infuse some FALL into Breakfast!
Check out more of my vegan waffle recipes and enter my waffle maker giveaway here on Healthy. Happy. Life.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life.