Thanks to Disney Magic of Healthy Living for sponsoring this post. Watch their fun for the whole family new video series Dishes Inspired by Disney and click here to get more healthy, magical recipes inspired by your favorite Disney movies and see the first episode below.
I wonder who thought of Bessie’s character in the movie Cars? I know every time me and my son watch the movie Bessie puts a huge smile on my face. A character that paves the road and makes it smooth for cars to drive along the street. I thought of Bessie as I made these oatmeal squares that are like a cross between an energy bar and a spongy piece of cake. The texture looks like it might be as hard as pavement Bessie may have laid, but it is a soft bite into wholesome. Perfect for my son’s little mouth, and he likes the idea that I tell him it is like a pavement for Lightning McQueen to drive on, because no one likes a bumpy road.
Pavement Oatmeal Squares 1 of 6
These pavement squares may look like Bessie laid down a hard road, but they are soft to the bite and perfect for Lightening McQueen to race on!
Ingredients 2 of 6
Add all the ingredients to a bowl (with the exception of the blueberries), and mix well to combine.
Blueberries 3 of 6
Once the mixture is well combined fold in the blueberries.
8×8 4 of 6
Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
Plated 5 of 6
Remove from pan and place on a plate or cutting board to cut into squares.
Oatmeal Squares 6 of 6
Stack up the squares and take a look at the blueberries inside. Mmmmmm, they are not super sweet just perfectly wholesome.
- 1 1/2 – cups quick oat meal
- 1/4 – cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 – cup almond meal
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 – teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 – egg
- 1 – cup non fat milk
- 3 – tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 – tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3/4 – cup fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Spray a 8×8 pan with a non-stick baking spray. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl add oats, whole wheat flour, almond meal, baking soda, ground cinnamon, egg, milk, applesauce, and brown sugar. Mix together until completely combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour mixture into the pan and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into squares.
Makes 9 squares.
This recipe was inspired by the video for Lightning McQueen’s Balsamic Motor Oil Chicken from Disney’s new series Dishes Inspired by Disney. Check out the video below:[videopost src='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOH53FsasY&feature=share&list=PLoBrweoVzpIDmRPg-BVVAkCLV_KegQANc']
For the full Lightning McQueen’s Balsamic Motor Oil Chicken recipe, visit Spoonful!