Black and White Paninikathypatalsky
A luxuriously elegant panini? Here it is.. My Black and White Panini combines the sophistication of “black & white” with the casual yumminess of a cheesy grilled panini sandwich. Finally, a panini that you can serve to your snootiest of friends. Try my recipe..
Black. The black flavors include a creamy olive tapenade, balsamic vinegar and black pepper.
White. The white flavors include a spicy horseradish spread, white cheese and white bread.
Note on the olive spread: if you use black olives in the spread you will get a true b&w look. Kalamata olives tend to have a purple tone to them. However, kalamata olives also have a bolder flavor than black. Your choice!
Black and White Panini
makes 2 sandwiches
4 slices of sandwich bread, white or whole wheat
2 Tbsp Olive Tapenade
*homemade Olive tapenade recipe below
1 1/2 Tbsp Horseradish spread
4 Tbsp white cheese, shredded
*I used vegan Daiya Cheese in my panini photos
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
fresh black pepper
Pure Olive Tapenade
1/2 cup cannellini beans, drained
3/4 cup black OR kalamata olives
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
dash of fresh black pepper
*olive dip recipe post here
1. Gather your ingredients and prepare olive tapenade (if making fresh). Quickie Version: You can choose from several store bought brands. Le Pain Quotidien has a fabulous olive spread – and there are several brands I’ve tried from Whole Foods that are delicious.
2. Spread olive tapenade onto one side your sliced bread.
3. Spread horseradish onto other slice of bread. Use enough of each spread so that the entire surface is lightly coated. Use more horseradish for more spiciness.
4. Drizzle 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar on top of the olive tapenade. Grind some pepper over top. Smear vinegar into spread with a butter knife.
5. Place ‘black’ slice onto panini press or grill. Top with Daiya or other ‘white’ cheese. Place ‘white’ horseradish slice of bread on top of the cheese. Brush outer sides of bread with a bit of EVOO.
6. Grill until cheese melts and sides of bread are a deep brown grill-marked color. Grill marks are swoonable. Slice and serve!