These black and white Black Swan Cupcakes for your Oscar Party are not only delicious – but totally ballerina-approved! Sort’ve..
..I’m guessing leading lady Natalie Portman didn’t gobble up cupcakes while she was training for her Academy Award nominated performance in the edgy, crazy-ballerina flick Black Swan. Tights, tutus and toe shoes don’t always mix with butter-cream frosting. I mean, remember in the film when her mother almost tosses an entire pink-frosted cake into the garbage? I almost shouted at my screen – don’t do it!
But now that Natalie (in real life) is a glowing pregnant mom-to-be, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind grabbing a few of these frosted delights – she deserves it! And since these cupcakes are vegan – Natalie (who is vegan) will adore each scrumptious, dairy-free, egg-free bite. Get my recipe!..
The live Academy Awards, aka the Oscars, air this Sunday February 27, 2011.
Oscar Picks? I’m torn. I loved Black Swan for its artistic vision and riveting story line, but The Social Network is so timely and thought-provoking. My prediction is that Natalie will walk away with Best Actress and The Social network will take home Best Picture. But then again, what do I know? I’m just a movie loving cupcake-froster.
Black and White. These cupcakes are Black Swan inspired since they play around with the idea of black and white – light and dark – good and evil. To create the cupcakes I whipped up 4 bowls. A black cupcake batter, a black frosting, a white frosting and a white cupcake batter. Then when filling the cupcake tins and frosting the cakes I further played around with the opposing black and white Black Swan colors. Some cupcakes are all white, some have a black and white swirl. As well as with the frosting.
I also used raw coconut shreds and shaved chocolate to imitate a “swan-like” feathered look.
Black and White Cupcakes
vegan, makes one dozen
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
1 1/4 cups vanilla hemp (or soy) milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Add-in for cocoa cupcakes:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp instant coffee
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup soy cream cheese
1/2 cup vegan buttery spread
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
Add-in for chocolate frosting:
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp instant coffee
1/3 cup melted chocolate chips
toppings: coconut and white sprinkles, chocolate shreds/sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line or thoroughly grease your cupcake tin.
2. Cream together your vegan butter, cream cheese, vanilla, salt and coconut milk for your frosting. Add in the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is smooth. Divide the white frosting into two separate bowls. Add the chocolate add-in ingredients to the second bowl – (gently melt the chocolate chips before folding in). Place both forsting bowls in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
3. Mix up by hand, your white cupcake batter. Divide the batter into two bowls, and in the second bowl, add in the chocolate batter additions (cocoa powder, coffee). Fill your cupcake tine. You can do swirled colors, straight-up colors or a fun mix of all.
4. Bake your cupcakes at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes. Or until the edges start to brown.
5. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
6. Frost cupcakes, add cocoa shreds and coconut shreds as you’d like. Enjoy the Oscars!!