I absolutely love Stanley Kubrick’s work. I have followed his career for most of my life. When I think of the scariest horror movie of all time, the first that comes to mind is The Shining.
Of course, I think of those scary-as-hell twins, the blood that gushes out of the elevators, the little boy saying “RedRum” in the mirror, and the scene when Jack smashes the door with an axe while Wendy holds on to the knife. That knife cuts Jack’s hand and buys Wendy the time she needs to escape Jack’s devious intentions. Here is my ode to the best horror masterpiece I have ever seen: Bloody Knife Cookies.
Ingredients for knife cookies:
- 1 – stick of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 – cup sugar
- 1 – egg
- 2 – teaspoons vanilla
- 2 – cups flour
- 1/4 – teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for Royal Icing:
- 4 – cups powdered sugar
- 3 – tablespoons meringue powder
- 6 – tablespoons warm water
- Food coloring gel (black, grey, and red)
- Cream butter and sugar together in a mixer until fluffy and creamy.
- Add in egg and vanilla, and mix on medium till mixture comes together.
- In a large bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix with a fork to mix well.
- Pour the flour mixture into the creamy butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Remove from mixer and mix with your hands to bring it together. Then divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Wrap each portion of dough in plastic wrap, and smash down into a disk shape. Place in the fridge for 1 hour until cold.
- Preheat the oven for 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured work space. roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Then with a small pairing knife cut out the shape of a knife. Either trace around a real knife or free hand it.
- Place cookie knives on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat or wax paper.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Remove from baking mat with a metal spatula.
- In a bowl combine powdered sugar, meringue powder, and warm water. Still until smooth and well combined.
- Divide the royal icing into 3 separate little bowls and color one black, gray, and the other red.
- Place each color of royal icing into a piping bag fitted with a tip.
- Outline the handle of the knife in black, then fill in the middle.
- Then with the red outline from the tip of the knife blade to the bottom center. Fill in the red.
- Last fill the rest in with grey.
- Let dry completely overnight.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.