Congratulations to Shannon Lachford, you’ve won a Breville Smart Grill for getting the most votes in our new, monthly “My Family’s Favorite Food” contest. Your burger recipe, “Baby’s Bacon BBQ Burgs,” that you and your one-year-old son made looks delicious — and 58 voters thought so too! (If you missed it, you can check out the competition here.)
Shannon shared her burger recipe with us so you too can make this family award-winning favorite. Find out how to make it after the jump!
Baby’s Bacon BBQ Burgs Recipe
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp Coarse black pepper
For the burger:
- 1 small red onion, sliced and rings separated
- 2 pound ground sirloin or turkey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 12 slices yellow cheddar cheese
- 12 slides good-quality, smoky bacon
- Crisp lettuce, finely chopped
- 12 hamburger buns, split
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Pre-bake the bacon for 10 minutes on a slotted pan or on cooling rack set over baking sheet to render some of the fat. Cool to handle.
Combine the barbecue sauce ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a bubble and reduce the heat to low; cook for 15-20 minutes to thicken.
Place the onion rings in a bowl and dress with salt, pepper and lime juice.
Combine the meat with the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil. Form six patties.
Heat a double-burner griddle or flat side of a grill pan over medium to medium-high heat. Cross two slices of bacon on a work surface like an X, then place a burger pattie on grill. Cook the burgers seam-side down until the bacon is crisp, about 6 minutes. Flip and cook the burgers for 6 minutes more. Top the burgers with cheese in last minute or so; cover with a loose foil tent to melt cheese. Arrange a little lettuce on the bun bottoms and top with the burger patties, barbecue sauce, onions and bun tops. Enjoy!
Thanks so much to all who entered a beloved burger recipe. And stay tuned on Family Kitchen to learn about our next “My Family’s Favorite Food” contest! (Hint: This time we want to see your family’s favorite ice-cream sundae!)