Meatless Monday has become more than just a passing trend. For many restaurants, families and schools – Meatless Monday has become an easy way to add some “veg” to your diet. And one way to veg up your dinnertime is by making your “Burrito Night” meatless! Burritos are a perfect vegetarian or vegan food. Veg burritos are rich in protein, fiber and flavor. Plus they satisfy even the hungriest of tummies. And you can even change up “traditional” Mexican cuisine by swapping out rice for healthy quinoa and changing that white tortilla wrap for whole wheat. Try a meatless burrito night with this recipe..
Meatless Monday Burrito
4 whole wheat tortillas – XL size
1 small white onion, diced
1 cup chunky salsa
1 avocado, diced – tossed in lime juice
1 can vegan pinto beans, drained (just beans, water & salt)
1/2 cup vegan cheese (or any cheese)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1 Tbsp olive oil (optional)
4 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 tsp lime zest
1 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste
1 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
3 cups leafy greens – chopped (any variety)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar?
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Cook your fluffy quinoa. Once cooked, fold in the lime and spices. Set aside. How-to cook quinoa.
2. Heat the canned beans. Fold in the cheese and optional nutritional yeast. Set aside.
3. Chop your avocado and onion. Set aside. Then chop and toss your greens.
4. Warm your tortillas before assembling.
5. To tortilla add: beans, quinoa,onion, avocado,greens and a drizzle of salsa.
6. Fold. Serve – or wrap in foil and keep in warm oven until ready to serve.
Serve with hot sauce and fresh sliced limes.
Or try Vegan Enchiladas!